Thursday, May 1, 2008

Other Half

I hate the term "other half" I think it's stupid and ridiculous. Why does a person have to be your other half? Why can't you be a whole person without someone else? "Other Half" indicates that you aren't whole without this certain person. It's ultimately just another way society defines us by our relationships and tells us that if you aren't in some type of romantic relationship you essentially aren't whole. So according to this term, what really defines you is not actually you, but the lack of or presence of another person.

1 comment:

April said...

I agree. I work at a video store and i often see couples who try to use each others accounts.(we don't have so-called family accounts, everyone over 18 must use their own) When they say "but she's my wife/he's my husband" or whatever term they use I feel like saying "but you are your own person, right? you are an individual. can't you do anything for yourself? or must you always lean on your "other half"?"
I am a huge supporter of people being themselves and not just the "other half".