Saturday, May 17, 2008

Hope Floats

I want to be an academic advisor or something, a tutor maybe. I think being in college and earning my degree made me feel like I could conquer the world. I mean there I was, a little girl who bearly passed high school, had my boyfriend do my senior project for me, and couldn't study anything for longer than five minutes, who was now making straight A's in college courses. It really did make me feel powerful.

Maybe that's why these past few weeks, months whatever I have been feeling a bit...deflated. Maybe some of my sense of power got lost after I earned my degree and no longer had tests to ace and a GPA that kept skyrocketing up. Doing well in college really did make me feel like I could do anything I wanted to. I need to get back to that feeling.

I want everyone to have this feeling when they're in school, the feeling that if they can get through these classes and these tests, they can do anything. The feeling that you are smarter than you think, the realization that if you work hard, you can accomplish your goals and get what you want. I want people to be hopeful about their futures, maybe this is why I like the idea of academic advising and maybe this is why I like the idea of counseling in general.

"I blame this town, this job, these friends, the truth is it's myself" this pretty much sums up entirely how I've been feeling lately.

No comments: