Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Short Skirt??

Why is it every time a girl with a body wears something nice, somebody has to shut her down? Why do other people try to make me so ashamed of my body, because I have curves and my own personal style?

During my practicum at school today I was wearing a black skirt, that went down to a little above my knee, with black stockings, shoes with a heel, and a button up shirt.I saw three clients and things were going well. Until I got to supervision that afternoon and my supervisor (who is a doctoral student and not my actual teacher) mentioned the fact that my skirt was too short and that I might want to think about that in the future. I stood up and showed her that my skirt went to almost my knees and that I was wearing thick black stockings with my skirt. She proceeded to babble on about my skirt being too short, with one of my classmates sitting right there. My classmate and my supervisor felt the need to both console me with "But it is a cute outfit" as if that made some kind of difference in the fact I had just been humiliated over the length of my skirt.

I think this hurt so much because I feel my whole life I've been getting shit because I have a body. I have an ass, boobs, thighs, and all the other womanly assets. I am CURVY in a society that feels like people with a BODY should be hiding away some where. Then again, my supervisor is very curvy herself, which infuriates me even more that she called me out.

I try really fucking hard to dress classy and professional. Yes, I have my own jazzy style, but I try really hard to make it fit the role of therapist that I play during my practicum. I'm always looking for button up shirts and nice touches to add to my professional gear. I plan out my outfit every Monday night so Tuesday morning I know exactly what to wear that day. I don't appreciate getting shit for my outfit. I understand if I wasn't OBVIOUSLY trying to have fab professional gear, but it's so damn obvious I am trying to dress nice. I don't appreciate being called out like that, especially in front of one of my peers.

Waiting on the world to change I suppose..

3 comments:

allison said...

Hi Kelly! This is Allison, from (dot)luv! My boyfriend and I pay about $950/mo for this place, utilities are included, yay! It is only a 1BR, no parking, but it is in a wonderful location! We absolutely love it. Whereabouts in FL are you located?

Anonymous said...

That's frustrating. Maybe she was jealous ; )

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of idiots! I am a curvy woman as well (and very happy about it) and a few years back I read a seriously ridiculous book titled ''Stepping Up'' (for women wanting to get into management) and it went as far as suggesting that women like us should only wear black & grey, shapeless clothes to cover everything. Excuse me?

So rude this woman mentioned this about your outfit in front of other people. She clearly needs to look up on the dictionary the meaning of some words such as diplomacy, good manners etc.

Don't let things like that make you feel bad and express your style! (stumbled upon your blog after seeing the link on Amber's one)